The student news site of Fishers High School, Fishers, Indiana

Tiger Times

The student news site of Fishers High School, Fishers, Indiana

Tiger Times

The student news site of Fishers High School, Fishers, Indiana

Tiger Times

Junior Sabrina Mari Alberty prepares for her solo during Sound’s “Kiss of the Femme Fatale” set at Spotlight Parent Preview Night. “Those extra practices really helped pull us together and refine everything so that it was ready,” Mari Alberty said. Parent Preview Night took place on Feb 1, 2024.
A shining silver spotlight
Gavin Auger and Emerson Elledge February 22, 2024

Black excellence in country music
Black excellence in country music
Katrell Readus, Opinion Editor • February 22, 2024

With Black History Month in full swing, controversy around Beyoncé's new country songs and my long-standing love for a good pair of cowboy boots,...

Classroom classics
Classroom classics
Riley McWilliams, Business Manager • February 20, 2024

Throughout a student's high school career, they’ll read a variety of books ranging from Shakespearean plays to thrilling novels. However, many...

Schedule psychology
Schedule psychology
Tanner Guillot, Reporter • February 14, 2024

Tanner Guillot is a senior and a reporter for the Fishers Tiger Times. His views do not necessarily reflect those of the newspaper.      Every...

Peeling back the layers of modern day animation
Peeling back the layers of modern day animation
Evie Briar, Sports Editor • February 14, 2024

Evie Briar is a junior and the Sports Editor for the Fishers Tiger Times. Her views do not necessarily reflect those of the newspaper.      The...

Starting the new year off with a higher tax rates

As the new year approached many people hoped that 2013 would bring them good fortune and a higher paycheck. Some of these people are working students that did not take into consideration that on Dec. 31 2012, the fiscal cliff could go into effect.

Fiscal cliff is a term used to describe the combination of tax cuts and government spending, according to www.investopedia.com. Although the fiscal cliff did not go into effect, the payroll tax was still enacted. it added a two percent tax rate to every working person’s  paycheck, lowering the amount of money an employee receives. Many, like sophomore Camila Adni are very upset about this.

“I already get paid minimum wage, yet I work as much as everyone else of my colleagues, so an extra two percent knocked off my paycheck would put a gap in my pocket,” Adni said.

If the fiscal cliff were to pass, not all the debt would have been paid off with higher tax rates. Approximately 60 percent of the deficit reduction, that fiscal cliff was established to do would be taken from tax increase, while the other 40 percent would be taken from sequestration, the action of taking possessions forcibly until debt is paid off. Although many are not happy about this, some do believe it will have a positive outcome in the long run

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

Join in the public forum.
All Tiger Times Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Activate Search
The student news site of Fishers High School, Fishers, Indiana
Starting the new year off with a higher tax rates